Thursday, December 25, 2008

Pies for Santa!

Ken and I were so excited to have all of our family arrive on Christmas Eve to jumpstart the holiday celebration! In preparation for Santa's arrival, I decided to try my hand at making two sweet potato pies as opposed to the traditional cookies and milk. =)

Ironically enough, as much as I LOVE sweet potato pies, I had never tried to make one of my own. So for this being my very first time, I'm sooooooo pleased with how they turned out! I made a traditional one and one with a pecan topping. I hope Santa liked his late night treat! =)

Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Topping
Recipe Courtesy of Eagle Brand



Ingredients

Pie
1 pound sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 (6-ounce) frozen pie crust

Pecan Topping
1 egg
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter

Directions

Pie
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. With mixer, beat hot yams and butter until smooth.
3. Add EAGLE BRAND milk, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, salt and egg; mix well.
4. Pour into crust and bake 20 minutes.
5. Prepare Pecan Topping (recipe below).
6. Remove pie from oven; reduce oven to 350°F.
7. Spoon Pecan Topping on pie.
8. Bake 25 minutes longer or until set.
9. Cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Pecan Topping
1. Beat egg, dark corn syrup, brown sugar, and melted butter.
2. Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans.

No comments: