Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Southern Tradition

In keeping with the tradition of having a good old fashioned Southern dinner on Sunday, this evening I decided to make Creamed Corn, Green Beans, and Fried Pork Chops. The green beans and pork chops I've made many times. But the creamed corn was a first for me. I'm a HUGE corn lover, so I'm surprised it's taken me this long to take a stab at it. But now that I have, it is definitely something that will be a repeat performer! It was sooooo yummy and really simple to make.

Sweet Creamed Corn



Ingredients
1 large bag of frozen corn (thawed)
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cold water
2 tablespoons bacon grease
1 tablespoons butter

Directions
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt and pepper.

2. Add the corn and stir to combine.

3. Add the heavy cream and water and stir to combine.

4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat bacon grease.

5. Add corn mixture and turn heat down to medium-low, stirring until it becomes creamy and the corn become tender, about 30-40 minutes.

6. Add the butter right before serving.

No comments: