For our first date night in our new house, I wanted to make a romantic Italian dish featuring a savory sauce and fresh herbs and spices. So I found this recipe on the Food Network site. It was quite a hit with the hubby!
Tomato Herb Chicken
Recipe by: Gina Neely
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 chicken thighs, skinless
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon lemon-pepper
Hot buttered rice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
2. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken, meat-side down first, and turning once, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate to reserve.
3. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan.
4. Add onion to the pan and sauté until tender, roughly 3 minutes.
5. Add the stock and wine and stir, scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Turn heat to high and reduce by half, about 3 minutes.
6. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and add the dried herbs and lemon pepper.
7. Add the chicken thighs back in. Cover and cook on medium low for 40 minutes.
8. Remove chicken from liquid and serve on hot buttered rice. Ladle the sauce on top and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Notes: I made this dish with Fettucini noodles instead of buttered rice.