I'm not a huge dessert person at all. I normally leave that to my hubby. So, when I find a dessert I really like, that means it's a knock out. Well, I've found a knock out...Stawberry Shortcut Cake. It's moist and light and a perfect dessert for the Summer months. And as the name suggests, it's pretty easy and quick to prepare. Give it a try!
Strawberry Shortcut Cake
1 (18.25-ounce) box strawberry cake mix
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
2 tablespoons cognac
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (3-ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Follow cake directions as written on cake mix box.
3. Remove from oven and cool cake completely.
4. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, cognac and sugar. Let strawberries macerate 20 minutes.
5. Mix gelatin as directed on box. Refrigerate gelatin mix but do not let it harden, it should cool to a liquid consistency.
6. Invert and release cake onto a decorative platter.
7. Using a straw, poke holes all over the cake.
8. Pour gelatin into holes and spread over the top of the cake.
9. Spread layer of macerated strawberries on top of cake.
10. Whip cream with confectioners' sugar and vanilla at medium-high speed until it reaches stiff peaks. Do not over whip.
11. Spread layer of whipped cream on top of the strawberries, making pretty swirls and ripples.
12. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.